Monday, October 11, 2010

Great Books for Kindergarteners

Hello families!

As you know, my daughter is in kindergarten and my son is a fourth grader. Yesterday afternoon my son was about to get started on his homework. He made a comment about how his sister was so lucky that she didn't have homework. I reminded them both that reading is part of homework and they are expected to READ EVERY DAY!!! Sometimes I think they forget that it's an expectation, because it's part of our daily life.

Last week one of our reading lessons was about how being good listeners during story time is the beginning of becoming a good reader. It is the foundation of literacy!

As our kindergarteners develop as readers and begin reading on their own, they will need books in which they can access the text. Last year one of our parents shared a book set with me. I purchased this set, by Nora Gaydos, at Barnes and Noble. My daughter loves it! She earns stickers each time she reads a book. (Stickers are included in the set.) The set for Pre-readers is fantastic.

 


While I was browsing, I found these sets of non-fiction books. I'm in LOVE with these books! The text is repetitive and easy for kids to access. The pictures are actual photos. The books are really gorgeous! My daughter really enjoys reading these books to me. She feels so proud that she is actually reading. She needs a little help with some of the vocabulary, but really enjoys these books. I purchased every set I could find. The structure of the books mimic the stories we write in class too!

 


If you are interested in finding books that your kids are able to read with minimal support, these sets are good suggestions. Even when your kids are reading on their own, please remember that reading TO your kids will always be an important part of your daily routine! If you have suggestions for other great books, please share them in the comment section or send me an email!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment