Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Deep Space Sparkle Pumpkins

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the website Deep Space Sparkle.  If you're not familiar with it, stop reading my blog immediately, and click over to it!  You'll thank me later.  Patty Palmer is the website's author.  She's an art teacher at an elementary school and shares hundreds of lessons with step by step photos.  (Before I go any further, let me just say how awesome that would be to have a REAL art teacher teaching art to our students!)

I have never considered myself to be artistic.  I took 2 art courses in college, and suddenly I'm qualified to teach art concepts to young children.  Thankfully, the art objectives I'm trying to meet aren't too heavy in kindergarten.  With the help of Deep Space Sparkle, these kids may actually learn some art concepts after all!

Ok, onto the lesson.  I've been following Patty's website since I was introduced to it by my teaching partner last year.  When I saw this lesson, I fell in love.  Here's the link to Patty's step by step instructions.


I didn't notice this until just now, but look at the cute little smiley face on the pumpkin below.  It's so subtle, I didn't even see it before!
 


Very briefly, I'll tell you about a few concepts we learned.

We did a directed drawing of pumpkins.
We mixed yellow and red paint to make orange for our pumpkins.
We used paint to highlight certain areas of our pumpkins.
We used chalk to add starry night details.


Aren't they beautiful?  The Deep Space Sparkle website has art lessons by grade level or subject area.  It is a fabulous resource for parents and teachers.!

Happy painting!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment