10 Things You Need to Know About Water
1. 85% of the brain is made of water.
2. For optimum brain function the brain needs water.
3. It is possible that excessive amount of salt, sugar, or protein that we consume requires more water to process in our bodies. (We all know that fruits and vegetables are good choices for healthy snacks, rather than chips and cookies!)
4. Symptoms of dehydration include lethargy and mental confusion. Hmmmm, I'm thinking we want kids to be mentally alert in school.
5. Obviously, water is better for us than pop, fruit juice, or sports drinks.
6. A properly hydrated person needs to use the restroom 5-6 times per day.
7. 6-8 glasses of water per day is optimum for hydration.
8. There is no way, time wise, that 23 kindergarteners can consume 8 glasses of water while taking turns at a drinking fountain.
9. Drinking water increases energy levels. Mild dehydration is a common cause of daytime fatigue. Sleepy kids = poor learning.
10. Please send a water bottle to school with your child. The water bottle will stay at school Monday-Friday. We will send the water bottles home on Friday to be washed. Please send them back to school on Monday of each week. Water bottles must be NO SPILL. (No screw on/screw off lids.)
Water bottles like these can be purchased at REI, Fred Meyer, Target, or many other local stores. They usually cost between $10-$15. Please be sure you LABEL your child's water bottle.
Thanks for your help!!! Water bottles can be sent to school on the first day.