Thursday, January 24, 2013

Painted Snowmen

This has to be my all time favorite art project in kindergarten.  These little snowmen melt my heart every year.  This is actually a photo from last year, simply because they aren't dry yet.  More pictures coming soon!


I'm sad to say, I missed my favorite project this year.  (darn germs...getting the best of me)  But, I'm so happy that I have a fabulous teaching partner who jumped at the chance to have some painting fun.  

This project starts with watercolor.  We talk about the difference between cool colors and warm colors.  We look at the "fall" pictures we used in our leaf painting project.  They are full of orange, red, yellow, and brown.  Then, we look at winter pictures.  They are bright and cool, full of blue, purple, and pink.  The kids are asked to paint 3 backgrounds for their snowmen, using cool colors.  Then we leave them alone to dry.



The next step is painting the little snowmen bodies.... and then they dry. Finally, the kids use tempera paint to add details, like hats, scarves, and arms.  I love the use of a variety of art materials, studying the difference between warm and cool colors, and simply letting kids create! 


Happy painting!

2 comments:

  1. These are adorable! I love breaking out the paint in kindergarten!

    Lindsey
    Lovin’ Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for sharing!
    Heidi Butkus

    ReplyDelete